At Bulldog Tech we get the most out of every school day. Our classes are maximized for learning by using the best educational strategies based on current research. Instruction is different than traditional instruction in many of the following ways:
- Students have two teachers in every core subject.
- Our courses are thoughtfully integrated with two subjects.
- Bulldog Tech students use knowledge and critical thinking in all classes to solve real-life problems.
- Curriculum is balanced between individual and group assignments.
- Classes are smaller, they’re 25 students per teacher.
- We use longer block schedules which allows us time to do authentic projects.
- Students learn collaboration through the development of group norms and contracts.
- Student give and receive ongoing feedback for their work from teachers and peers.
- Most assignments are considered drafts and can be redone.
- Students use technology to enhance learning in every class in the same way adults use technology at work.
- Students lead their own parent conferences with guidance from a personal adult advisor.
Connections is a class at Bulldog Tech that ensures our students connect “what” they learn to “why” they are learning it. We “connect” our learning to the world, to family and to culture. This process helps us develop a culture of engagement and purpose for school. Research shows that students who receive this enrichment are better able to develop the academic behaviors and perseverance needed to thrive later in high school, college, career, and especially life. Connections Course Topics Planned for this year:Bulldog Life
– We study why, what, and how we learn the way we do.
Do Something! Projects (modeled after Google’s 20% time)
- Project-based Learning
- Culture: Trust, Respect, and Responsibility
- New Tech Network (our learning partner)
- Do Something! projects give our students the opportunity to design, from scratch, a project that makes the world a better place in some way.
- These projects, while structured to teach students how to tackle a goal, are also intentionally open-ended to allow students to express their creativity.
- Students create their own teams or decide to do the project individually.
- Students will have the opportunity to exhibit their results to the community when finished.
Mindsets are activities throughout the year where students have an opportunity to individually work to improve their academic and emotional mindsets. Past projects included:
- The Mistake Project
• Stranger Project
• Walk–a–Mile in My Shoes
• Silicon Valley Job Shadows
• Miss Representation
• The Mask You Live In
• College Day Events
Bulldog Tech allows students to sign up for course electives that are highly motivating and engaging, yet also teach skills not often available at most schools. This coming year we plan to offer:
- Photography with your phone
- Cultura (Hispanic Studies course)
- Engineering and Design
- Music Appreciation
- Wood Working
- Slam Poetry
8th Grade Classes
Common Core Math 8 (73 minute block each day)
We are excited and pleased that you will be with us as we learn 8th grade math. This Integrated Math 8 course is based on the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics (www.corestandards.org
). Topics will be covered through individual practice and application and through Problem-Based Learning (PrBL) approach. What is Problem-Based Learning
(PrBL)? PrBL follows a shorter timeline (1-3 days) than PBL
(Project-Based Learning), focuses on one or two specific skills/standards, and is a part of an over-arching unit. In our math class, we focus on three critical areas:
1) Formulating and reasoning about expressions and equations, including modeling an association in bivariate data with a linear equation, and solving linear equations and systems of linear equations;
2) Grasping the concept of a function and using functions to describe quantitative relationships;
3) Analyzing two- and three-dimensional space and figures using distance, angle, similarity, and congruence, and understanding and applying the Pythagorean Theorem. All of our 8th grade math classes have two teachers in every class and a 75 minute block schedule every day.
American Studies (History and Language Arts Integration, 73 minute block each day)
The American Studies course is an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the central themes, cultural patterns, and civic values of America throughout its history. American Studies encourages students to critically analyze the actions of American people and institutions in the the decades leading up to the Revolutionary War through the early years of the 20th century.
Maker Science (8th Grade Science and Engineering Integration, 73 minute block each day)
Maker Science is our 8th grade science class that emphasizes learning-through-doing (constructivism) in a social environment. The classroom maker culture emphasizes informal, networked, peer-led, and shared learning motivated by interest and self-fulfillment. There will be a balance of teamwork/collaboration assignments with individual assignments. This class will encourage novel applications of 8th grade science standards through the intersections of traditionally separate domains such as wood or metal-working, media technology, electronics, and engineering and design. The result will be science projects that will come to life through the making of experimental prototypes in Project-Based Learning
and Design Thinking contexts
7th Grade Classes
Common Core Math 7 (73 minute block each day)
Students in Grade 7 Math Exploration use mathematics to model real world situations. Problem solving strategies and critical thinking skills are stressed in a Problem Based Learning environment (PrBL), which cover the Common Core math standards for seventh grade. Units include, Ratios & Proportional Relationships, The Number System, Expressions & Equations, Geometry, and Statistics & Probability.
The Art of Science (7th Grade Science and Art Integrated, 73 minute block each day)
Einstein once said, "The greatest scientists are always artists as well." The purpose of our course is to bring the creativity and logical reasoning of Science and Art together. Our goal is to spark the passion and enthusiasm for problem solving and logical reasoning that springs from our imagination. Scientists and artists have a common goal of discovering the unknown. They both seek to understand life's mysteries.
The students in our course will participate in rigorous, standards-aligned activities that will enable them to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills through challenging and meaningful projects. Our projects are designed to help students utilize collaboration and team building in their development as contributing members to our community of learners. Some of our past projects were Cancer Awareness and Steelhead Trout Awareness. Students presented at an exhibition night to raise awareness about the impact of cancer, mutations and mitosis, and preventative measures. The Steelhead Trout required students to write a research paper and create a public service announcement about the populations of anadromous fish in the local area and how the community can help save the fish as well as the surrounding habitat. Students create different pieces of art and writing throughout each of projects to demonstrate their understanding of the content connected to present day events. Students will become creative agents by exploring science through the creative lens of art.
World Enrichment (7th Grade Language Arts and Social Studies Integrated, 73 minute block each day)
World Enrichment is a course that focuses on guiding students towards thinking critically about Medieval World History and current events, by reading powerful literature and writing original pieces. The course focuses on covering the curriculum through Project Based Learning with an emphasis on helping students cultivate and foster 21st century learning skills, such as critical thinking, collaboration, technology literacy and presentation skills. Students are challenged through rigorous and engaging projects based on real world issues that encourage growth mindset.